Friday, January 6, 2012

"Post Everything" by Luke Haines


The second and the best of the Luke Haines books.  And the first one is very enjoyable, but this one seems tighter, because I think the subject matter is much better.   The first one is about being in the music world during Brit-Pop, and this one is about....him in his own world.  

I highly recommend this book if you are a Black Box Recorder fan, because it pretty much covers those years and his commentary, like the first book, is also much more wittier.  Although his image is of a grouch, I think he is actually a very good critic.   Which means I don't agree with him all the time, but he knows how to say what's on his mind and he does it with great spirit.

Also the one problem I have with him, music wise, is his smarty pants teacher-like attitude towards culture.  But alas, in this book he gives credit to those who were there first.  And he has a really nice and interesting reading list at the back of the book, including one of my faves Stewart Home.  And I am hoping that Mr. Haines will return to empty page and fill it with some grief and good humor.

No comments: